Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Butterfinger vs. Clark Bar

Peanuts are, in my opinion, the most high impact of all candy ingredients, and peanut butter is their nectar. The Butterfinger and The Clark Bar are both a toffeesque interpretations of peanut butter and while they differ substantially in taste they both come from humble beginnings. David L. Clark was forced to leave school and work at a young age. He aced his way through the school of life and in 1886 he started making the Clark Bar in what is now Pittsburgh's North Side. By 1911 The D.L. Clark company dominated the scene, he even invented the mini candy bar. The Clark Bar is now Produced by NECCO and they outline the saga much more thoroughly on their website.

The Butterfinger was invented in 1923 by the Curtis Candy Company. The owner, Otto Schnering, invented the Baby Ruth candy bar to get his little company started. It was named through a public contest and was air dropped along with Baby Ruth's in cities over America when it was first released. Butterfinger is now produced by Nestlé. Their use of Bart Simpson in their ad campaigns is legendary.

This debate has waged for years it seems. I found a great breakdown of the ingredients from 1995.There are a few differences now; the Clark Bar lists Soy Lecithin as its emulsifier, and BHA, Propyl Gallate, and Citric Acid, as it's current preservative options. Butterfinger now specifically says they use less than 1% of Whey, Hydrogenated Palm Kernal Oil, and Soy Lecithin, and Cornstarch.
Butterfinger also lists their information in Spanish, including a translation of "crispety crunchety, peanut-buttery".











Head To Head















The Butterfinger is a bright butterscotch with a hint of orange. The chocolate also appears to be a bit lighter in color. When I first bit in to the Butterfinger, the most profound taste to me was butter. It has a slick full mouthfeel and sweetness overwhelms the pallette to reveal halfway through a peanut butter taste that stays strong and then lingers in the mouth. Of course it sticks in your gums like crazy. It is definitly crunchy and it is a solid bite, it does not feel layered or flaky, and I believe this is the secret to crispiness. Additional research revealed to me that Butterfingers are Gluten Free.









The Clark Bar has a brown layered look and texture. It is flaky when you bite in to it and the initial taste is a 50/50 mix of chocolate and peanut butter. These flavors linger and die together with a peanuty aftertaste. The peanut taste is a bit more roasted and the bar is less sweet overall. It is crunchy as well, but less aggressive. This cross section image highlights the different Layered for flakiness composition of the Clark Bar compared to the Butterfingers crispy whole block approach. Please disregard the slight gouge mark in the middle of the image, caused by my precision candy cutting device (exacto knife). Clark Bars are also gluten free.


The Verdict

I prefer the Clark Bar for it's more mellow and balanced taste. While I have to respect the aggressive crunch that the Butterfinger delivers I think it is just too sweet to allow the peanutbutteryness through. I also must confess that I like the fact that the Clark Bar does not have any artificial colors.

The Aftermath


About 30 mins after I ate the bars I was editing this story and realized that no matter what I did I couldn't sit still. After some thought I realized I was in the middle of an aggressive sugar high that can only be produced after chowing down 2 full sized candy bars. It's interesting to consciously experience this as an adult. It really puts in to perspective on the effect that candy must have on young kids who chow a king sized candy bar and then get in a car with their younger brother. I really had no control over the energy burst and had no choice but to play Xbox until it subsided, and even then I was standing, yelling at the TV for most of the time (although this is really no different than what usually happens when I play xbox, I did it with way more passion). I did not experience a sugar crash though, in fact I was fairly motivated to cook a nice dinner later in the evening. So I guess i got out clean on that end. For whatever it's worth, I took a fine poo this morning.


15 comments:

  1. You really put some effort into this. I didn't really know what a Clark Bar was before reading this. Now I feel like I could describe a Clark Bar in great detail to someone else. And I must say, I love the ending. I'm very glad to hear that all that sugary, chocolaty, sweetness did not have a negative impact on your bowl movements.. Lol.. Thanks for all of the thought and effort you put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on w your results. I was hankering for some Clark bars and got some via Hometown Favorites (alongside some boxes of Frankenberry-which also rule). Nice research!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted a Clark but had to settle for a BF (Nestle Corp power).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great article btw...agree and wish I could have the flakey and PB'ness now!

      Delete
    2. I preferthe Clark bar but it's much, much harder to find than Butterfinger. On a similar note, I also prefer the peanutt version of Twix bars. I had thought they had been discontinued over twenty years ago but came across them five years ago at Family Dollar store in New York. Could never understand why the caramel version is mire popular.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for your bowel movement. It made this article so much smoother to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for your bowel movement. It made this article so much smoother to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always liked the Clark Bar better and when we would go trick or treating I would trade 2 Butterfingers for every Clark Bar somebody would give me they had all but disappeared from my area for the longest time. But to my surprise my son-in-law and my daughter brought me a bag of Clark juniors just the other day it brought back some fond memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining the difference between the Butterfinger and the Clark candy bars. Unlike Mr. Blackwood, I like the Butterfinger better. I would have been glad to trade one of my Clark bars for one of his Butterfinger bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me, Clark also has a molasses taste where Butterfinger is more like white sugar (and butter).

    I too enjoy the less cloying sweetness of Clark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fuck Butterfinger. Long live the Clark bar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. COOL story now I want a CLARK bar😁

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent review. I was talking to a friend at work who loves butterfingers. He had never heard of a Clark bar and now I have this perfect article to send him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Clark bars and up until a couple of years ago I found them at 5 Below. When they stopped selling them I found what I remember as Clark Minis at Big Lots. Then no more. They are now available online in boxes of 24. Too much for me. Maybe someone will get them back in, someday.

    ReplyDelete